Hello New Friends,

I apologize for this being my first post without contributing or properly introducing myself. But this is quite the dilemma and I don't know where else to turn.So first a brief intro, my name is Amanda, I've been an esthetician since 2002 but have worked mostly in other fields up until about 4 years ago. I was an Arch Expert with Benefit in Ulta for 3 years. I left because I wanted the opportunity to do facials and body waxing which was not an option at Ulta.

Enter the spa from hell.

I don't even know where to start. I was hired on as an employee, not a contractor. That being said, they are responsible for providing supplies.

I do not have a steamer. I do not have proper wax. I do not have muslin. I do not have proper robes or dressing gowns. All of our towels are yellowed and stained. No tissues, no distilled water. I am not kidding.

It doesn't end there. There are stains on the walls of the treatment rooms. I saw a roach in the waiting area. The salon is equally shabby. Cabinets broken, hasn't been painted in years, no one changes their barbacide, etc.

This is not some low-priced shack in the middle of nowhere. We are in a major department store in an iconic building. I won't say more than that.

Now about the manager. First of all, he is fully aware of all of these issues. He will not take action. Second, he said that if I brought clients there was a hire on bonus. I brought him 100 clients. No bonus. They have given me 10 clients in 4 months.

He has verbally abused other staff members, calling them stupid, putting his finger in their faces, etc. He has blocked out time on my books and had another esthetician come in to do facials in my room while other rooms are available. I'm paid hourly so that means I am losing money. Sometimes these facials are comps that the company pays for (the other esty is on commission and she gets half of the menu price even if it is comped.) So he's causing the company to lose money. His immediate supervisor is much like him. She is aware of these things as well.

What do I do? I live in an at-will employment state so if I quit, I probably won't qualify for unemployment. I need the money. But the conditions are unbearable. I'm looking for a new job in the meantime but really, every day is horrible there. Is there any action I can take? Thanks and sorry for such a long post!

p.s. The pics were taken in my treatment room. One is of the wall (behind the broken steamer) and the other is the vent which is above the treatment bed.

Views: 3690

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really couldn't have said it better!  Running your own business brings you to one realisation ( spelt with a 'S' for obvious reasons) hire people that are willing to be invested. Think like an owner.

As a spa owner myself, I fully appreciate everything that you have touched on in your response. I don't expect my staff to always know my reasons for doing things the way I do, but then again that is not what they are paid to do. I fully agree with you on the unemployment issue as well. I've have several employees quit or are fired with cause and attempt to collect unemployment instead of simply looking for another job that fit them better. 

I agree that Amanda should leave that spa ASAP, and find a new and better situation for herself. I don't think she's quite ready yet to open her own studio, however. 

Great response all the way until the very end by relax and rejuvenate. Very condescending toward salaried, commissioned or low paid employees.

People have different financial needs, so stating that you would never hire someone that would not quit their job is a little judgmental, not to mention unrealistic because you cannot possibly know what people think or will do in the future. Besides, employers DO pay unemployment insurance.

People need money, that's why they work and are willing to put up with lots of crazy things - including abuse, sexual harassment/assault, unpaid time, unsafe conditions, etc.  When they are fired, they are entitled to unemployment because the employer paid for unemployment insurance. So this is something that was being paid (if the employer is doing things legally).  No one wants to be unemployed to collect unemployment, since unemployment is not the same amount as a regular salary, AND it's based on the employee's salary and time working. So someone with a salary of $25K/yr with 2 consecutive working years cannot possibly make the same as someone making $50K with 10 consecutive working years. The idea that unemployed people *just* want to collect unemployment is a myth, ludicrous, preposterous and classist.

We are here to be "sisters" and help each other. Not to put others down or make them feel bad.

Excellent point.

I would write a long letter to whomever is above your manager maybe an owner or director, and ask for certain things to be fixed. Make sure you keep a record and keep it all very positive and professional. You are the professional no matter what others are.

Also, I often tell people that life is too short to be miserable at work.

And I agree with Samantha said. Call the board.

I once worked for three days at a place that had snakes. The first time one slithered across my workweek floor, I left. After a particularly gross incident when I was a social worker, I don't do roaches. Period. Snakes don't even bother me but can you imagine if you are a client? Ugh! 

Snakes! Oh my god. That's worse. And I have a cockroach phobia so I was definitely not cool with the roach thing for multiple reasons.

Thanks! I decided to take action by writing a long letter to human resources (which is somewhere in Canada so don't know how much good it's going to do) with just provable accusations and pics. I'm not expecting anything to come of it based on how much they've neglected the place thus far but who knows.

I've also contacted a local salon to bring my clients there at least one day per week for 50% revenue. I don't have the resources to rent or buy a space myself so this was the next best solution.

I work in downtown Chicago, the rents start at $1000 per month and if I moved out of the area, I'd lose a lot of my clients.

I think you sound very much like you are on top of it!  I think all of us have been involved in a situation that was extremely less than ideal.  Sounds like you are doing all that is possible. Hang in there, you'll either be taken seriously, fired, or find something awesome!  It takes some time to learn how to deal with some things in this business.  Especially things they don't tell you in school.  Keep up the good work!

A

Call unemployement and ask them - tell them first you are not filing just wondering what to do
I worked for a multimillionaire plastic doc who was the same way - they actually told me to remodel their spa and put it on my credit cards - I made $15 an hour

Well, here is an update.

The company and the department store the spa is housed in refuse to make changes. I showed them the Code of Sanitation Guidelines for my state and pointed out all 20+ violations being made (they were seriously in violation of 3/4 of the Code). Nothing was done.

I ended up leaving one day after being told to service my clients in the most disgusting treatment room on the premises.

I am now unemployed and am being denied unemployment.

I don't know if I will continue to seek employment in this industry. The job market here in Chicago is oversaturated and the employers are taking full advantage. All of the salon/spas I've interviewed with are commission only with no benefits, NOT the higher of hourly or commission like it's been in the past. They want you to pay for supplies, have complete open availability, sell product like a used-car salesman....

I'm just over it.

Start your own. If I was smart, I would have done this years ago. Get a job doing something else, build your business and GO OUT ON YOUR OWN! 

Also, we are getting ready to become over-saturated here too and several of us older Esty's are worried. We don't have the technical nor the computer suave to keep up. But I DISAGREE!!! We are the bread and butter of our business!!! NOTHING takes away from experience. I once thought this too but I have found my Niche and you will also! Don't give up! IF it's your passion! Take a break, think about your future! YOU did the right thing!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service