Hello New Friends,

I apologize for this being my first post without contributing or properly introducing myself. But this is quite the dilemma and I don't know where else to turn.So first a brief intro, my name is Amanda, I've been an esthetician since 2002 but have worked mostly in other fields up until about 4 years ago. I was an Arch Expert with Benefit in Ulta for 3 years. I left because I wanted the opportunity to do facials and body waxing which was not an option at Ulta.

Enter the spa from hell.

I don't even know where to start. I was hired on as an employee, not a contractor. That being said, they are responsible for providing supplies.

I do not have a steamer. I do not have proper wax. I do not have muslin. I do not have proper robes or dressing gowns. All of our towels are yellowed and stained. No tissues, no distilled water. I am not kidding.

It doesn't end there. There are stains on the walls of the treatment rooms. I saw a roach in the waiting area. The salon is equally shabby. Cabinets broken, hasn't been painted in years, no one changes their barbacide, etc.

This is not some low-priced shack in the middle of nowhere. We are in a major department store in an iconic building. I won't say more than that.

Now about the manager. First of all, he is fully aware of all of these issues. He will not take action. Second, he said that if I brought clients there was a hire on bonus. I brought him 100 clients. No bonus. They have given me 10 clients in 4 months.

He has verbally abused other staff members, calling them stupid, putting his finger in their faces, etc. He has blocked out time on my books and had another esthetician come in to do facials in my room while other rooms are available. I'm paid hourly so that means I am losing money. Sometimes these facials are comps that the company pays for (the other esty is on commission and she gets half of the menu price even if it is comped.) So he's causing the company to lose money. His immediate supervisor is much like him. She is aware of these things as well.

What do I do? I live in an at-will employment state so if I quit, I probably won't qualify for unemployment. I need the money. But the conditions are unbearable. I'm looking for a new job in the meantime but really, every day is horrible there. Is there any action I can take? Thanks and sorry for such a long post!

p.s. The pics were taken in my treatment room. One is of the wall (behind the broken steamer) and the other is the vent which is above the treatment bed.

Views: 3679

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, start your own. after 2 years I decided enough is enough! I give way too much to these business owners to receive the bare minimum. now after investing all my spare money on equipment I'm ready to go my own way, but I will still work at my other job only part time. hopefully I will be able to wean out of that job very soon. that's my goal!!!

you can do it too!

Many of us have been there! Get a paying job - whatever that is - and start building your own business. If I were you, I would take a webinar or something related to business. Obviously, you made some gain by getting 50% at this other place where you bring your own clients.

Put in writing what you want out of a business for yourself and then get it on a contract and present it to this company you are in partnership with.

In my country, we have a saying: "they haven't written stories/books about cowards". This means, that in life, you have to make bold decisions.

This is how I got started in my business:

I moved to FL with NOTHING from CA (for personal reasons, re-stating my life). Only my car and my furniture, which I kept in storage for a while. I was renting a room from a home owner until I found my own place. I had some money saved only for this. I began working part time managing a yoga studio. The owner happened to have another office building nearby (a block away) and had a TINY empty room. I mentioned to her that I wanted to open my own business but that I didn't have the money. She needed to rent the room and there were NO prospects. So she offered me this deal: get in the room and pay me 40% of what you make. This meant that if in a particular month I didn't make money, I didn't have to pay at all. I got my very first equipment used from craigslist and got some lines that didn't require minimums and mixed and matched. I then opened a Groupon deal (I had NOTHING, no clients, no connections, no network NO clients). Six months later, I moved to a BETTER location and got some following. I then connected with a virtual admin assist who worked with me on a good price and helped me set up my website and all my social media and a newsletter.  Honey, a year later, I moved once again to an even better location right in the smacking middle of spa "pink zone". There are 7 spas/salons in my block alone. Competition? Well, let's say I am in the vainest city in America. However, during the first 3 months in my new location, I did the business it took me the first year to build. I am now quadrupling my business and have increased my prices substantially. This month, I will be in business for 2 years. Yes, this long story happened between March 2012 and today. So, you can make things happen.  Just be brave and smart about it.

I LOVE that you shared this with us Monica! What an amazing story and a wonderful example of fortitude! I was really blessed by this and needed to hear it today. Thank you so much!

warms my heart to know. Sometimes I beat myself up, but I've come a long way. Thank you for your kind words.

I agree with Amy. You did do the right thing which is sometimes not the easiest thing. Having standards is what keeps your clients coming to you. They do look at your sanitation standards when they visit you. If you had continued to work in that environment it would have reflected poorly on you as a service provider and your clientele would have dropped off. I understand over saturation but it also gives you an opportunity to rise above the rest and define yourself through leadership and experience. Like Amy said, get another job and work to be able to go out on your own. It took me six years to be able to do it and it's been so worth it. If you have passion for esthetics you will find a way.

I agree! I was gone for 2 years. Had the newbies bad mouth me (fear does that) and worked at a horrible place once myself. It gives you guts. Start a blog, work on what YOU love! It has taken me about 5 years to get out on my own. BUT... those 5 years are going to come and go ANYWAY.  Might as well be your own darn boss!

Call your state board and report these infractions - for your sake and the safety of your clients. And find another job. It sounds as if you could be liable for a lawsuit. Also -- did you sign a contract? If so and you can prove that he has not followed through on what was agreed upon in writing, contact the labor board in your state. This place is a recipe for disaster - and poor moral on everyone's part. Good luck and keep looking for a better job. Let this be a lesson - don't go into anything without a contract!

I agree call state board and the health dept. oh yea the better business bureau
You can also call your local news
I agree with calling the state if there are unclean things not taken care our out of your control. The state only cares about the facts. As for manager behavior well that is something you have to talk with his/her boss about. Don't call your local new! 100% bad idea! Good luck in your job search! Don't bash your current job in your potential new job interview. Fyi

First let me say that you do need to quit. I manage a spa in a right to work state and would completely understand if one of my staff quit because of all the things you mentioned. The only thing you said that I do not agree with is the practical, we do not require a practical when hiring. The reason for us not requiring one is we use Eminence Organics skin care and not very many people have ever used it, for this reason we need to train you in it. As long as your license is in good standing and we check your references that is all we require. As for the other things where is State Board? Do they not check on the spa? In our State we have been checked several times in just 5 years. Fortunately we passed all the times that they stopped by. Good luck and hopefully someone will see you for the awesome person you are and hire you.

I called the state board in mid-January and while they did say they'd visit, to my knowledge they still have not.They clearly haven't checked in on them for several years because the state of deterioration as far as things like floors, walls and cabinets took years. The spa was actually the cleanest part of the place- the hair stations and nail stations were somehow worse! Hair on floor everywhere, never once saw barbacide changed, shampoo basins filthy, etc.

Seemingly, no one cares.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service