I used to accept Visa and MC as a form of payment but when fees skyrocketed I gave up and have been only accepting cash or checks. It is not only the fees charged but the inconvenience of having to leave the room, have another phone line to pay for...etc.. As far as safety (guarantee) I don't need it. My clients are only word of mouth referrals, nobody off the street. However, with the economy , maybe more people would be willing to indulge in pro skin care if they were able to charge their purchases. I would like to know if other independent, selfemployed estheticians accept credit cards.(obviously a full service spa, etc...will accept those!

Views: 936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use cell charge, I tell them I prefer cash or check but if they don't have it then we can do c/c. They charge me a monthly fee 11.38 plus 3.7% of the purchase. I feel you really need to have it.
I use to use Cell Charge.  I liked it until I found GoPayment from Intuit (the makers of Quickbooks). Cell Charge got to expensive for me as they charged a monthly fee which was reasonable but then they added an additional fee for IRS and then $50 yr for "compliance" then on top of that it was 3.79% for ea. transaction.  GoPayment is much cheaper per transaction and the monthly fee is very reasonable and there are no "compliance" charges.  No phone lines needed and you can use your IPhone or Android. Great Product in my opinion. And yes I make more money with the ability to take cards.

Hi all, I've been in business for about a year and a half and only do cash/checks.  I kind of feel like I'm missing out by not accepting credit cards.  I feel more people would buy the skincare I retail.  This has been a very interesting subject and I'm going to investigate the options mentioned.

Thanks!

Two words: GO PAYMENT!!!!

People definitely buy more when they can just put it on the card.

I accept visa and mastercard only. I use Spa-Booker and they have merchant processing. It's not too bad. Only accepting cash/checks limits the client to single purchases. They will buy packages, etc when they can use a credit/debit card.

I use Cell Charge, I punch the info into my phone. The charge is 3.7% per transaction and 11.08 monthly fee. I am looking at switching to lower rates but I just can't give it up. Clients buy and spend more when they don't have to pay cash or check.

@ Jackie M, I had Cell Charge and I kept it until I had the Go Payment up and running. I ended up paying two monthly fees for just one month.  Once I had a couple transactions clear with Go Payment I cancelled the Cell Charge.  Easy transition I like the convenience of not haveing to maintain cc records of my clients.  Great product.  If you do less than $1000 per month in cc charges there is no monthly fee, the percentage is a bit higher but still a lower rate than Cell Charge. I have noticed a difference in my monthly merchant expenses..  Even a little more in my pocket is better than giving it to the bank :) $10 per month is $120 per year. It all adds up.

I take checks and cash but I will take their cc if they ask which is not that often. I use Paypal but it has been so long since I have taken a cc I don't know what the fees are anymore.I need to check:)

There are so many options in this day and age, I can't imagine NOT accepting credit cards. Especially if you do any product and gift certificate sales. 

Check into ALL of those already mentioned.

The comments about fees being too high are perplexing to me.  this is just another cost of doing business...as are your rent, product and supply costs, etc.  If you are PAYING fees then this is a business expense/deduction just like everything else. Shop around for better rates by all means, but I would NEVER give up accepting credit cards entirely...and except for the ladies that have small exclusive businesses, I can't see the reasoning in NOT taking credit.

Amen, Sistah!  
I say, if you're getting killed by fees, your business is green & growing... 
Much better than the alternative... ripe & rotten!
I am an independent esthy and can't imagine running a business without accepting credit cards. I think it sends a clear message that if you do accept them, you are a serious legitmate business owner.  All the fees associated with accepting credit cards are a cost of doing business.   I always explain to my clients that I prefer checks but will happily take their credit card.  Most of my clients do pay with a card, pay tip with cash and buy much more in product than if they were to pay with a check.  I'm sure of it!   I'm stuck in a contract with Ipayment the old fashion swipe type transaction but will be looking at other options in the near future with GoPayment.
Get the square ap for your iPhone, I pad or droid! I love it- no land line needed and you only pay 2.75% even on Amex! My previous service was averaging TEN %. I almost cried when I realized the hidden fees were killing me! You'll love square and people spend avg of 3x more on cc.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service