I have been licensed for just under 11 years and have a private practice. I've been considering the idea of CIDESCO certification. The information out there is kind of limited, and I really want to get an honest opinion, so I thought I'd ask here...

I know CIDESCO certification will give you the edge in the job market, and if you are looking to work overseas it is almost a must-have, but...for someone who is self employed, is it worth it?

I guess my main concern is that the $$$ is really just for a title. I know the full CIDESCO schooling systems for starting out are of very high caliber, but for those of us who have been licensed for years, we just take a week long class and the exam, right? Is what you learn in the week long class really that exceptional? Also, am I correct in thinking that they included massage/nails training even though by state board regulations Estheticians are not able to perform these services?

I'm not looking for a title to throw around, but I am an information and education junkie and want to have the most tools possible to succeed in my business and provide exceptional service to my clients.

I'd love to hear some thoughts/experiences on this! Thanks!

Tags: CIDESCO

Views: 5664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your valuable information regarding the school in Texas.  But I have a question maybe you can help, if i hold a license from another state (CA) other than Texas does it matter if I study for the Cidesco exam in Texas?

Hello! I does not matter which state you study your CIDESCO exam in. Most people have to leave their state in order to take the exam. If you are concerned about leaving the state, go to Marinello's in San Fran, CA. I think Shelly is still the instructor there. She is GREAT!

Good luck!!

that's what i thought as it seemed obvious.  I'm trying to get around the 25k bill for CIDESCO, as there is not a two week review.  yes Shelly is the instructor.

thank you Jo Ann you have been most helpful.

renee

ps do you know if anyone who have reviewed 1-2weeks with (alot) of self study and still have been successful to receive their accredidation of CIDESCO? 

(just courious)

You have 11 years behind you! Take the 1 week class & challenge the test!

While you are waiting, I would take some classes in electricity. In Houston, they offer classes in the Faradic. Practice on your friends & map out the face & body. Work on MLD & Iontophoresis on the body. Actually, practice ANYTHING electric. They love their electricity. See if you can find a Massage Therapist to apprentice under for the body work. 

Do you have a friend who can work with you???

Patrick is right. The exam will be very different because of the interaction. From start to finish, my practical was 9 hours. UGH... But, I did it.

Please keep me posted!

Claire -
The one week class is merely a 'refresher' for US estheticians who have already been practicing long enough (and had enough continuing education) to meet the International CIDESCO standard to familiarize them with the material and processes covered by the exam.
While most European licensing and testing is already built to the CIDESCO requirements, the US licensing programs are shorter and vary from state to state. Therefore, while very experienced US estheticians may be familiar with the material covered by the CIDESCO exam they likely will not be familiar with the format. (For example, in many US states the examiner and candidate are not allowed to speak during practical exams, therefore having a CIDESCO examiner ask questions during the practical would startle many US estheticians who weren't prepared for it.)
Also, some machines and procedures are prohibited in the US (or restricted to medical personnel) and the class allows US canditaes to familiarize themselves with these, as they are not taught here.

Morning Patrick!

You are so right. I had to fly to Houston to learn the Faradic.. The practical was so different than anything I ever experienced. But, I wish we would raise our standards in the US. For me, the written exam was easy because I am a LMT. Also, that helped me with the body portion of the exam.  It was the skin practical that surprised me. But they really focused on HOW you answered the questions. Every answer had to have the sound of Confidence behind it.  Also, how you present yourself is graded. There is an image that you have to uphold.

CIDESCO is so much more than an exam.

PS - You are from Portland???? I LOVE PORTLAND!!! I am trying to move there. I have my esthetician & instructors license there. All I need to do is sell the house & I am out of Florida.

This is great information (ladies and gent) keep it coming, and Thank you.

Renee

We are practically neighbors Jo ann!  I am in Palm Harbor.  I would love to connect sometime, especially with a seasoned Esthetician as yourself.  I am still kind of a newbie. 

Hello Shelia! That would be great!!!

Hey there, remember me, how are you????? I just sent you a friend request!!

Hello! How are you doing??

Andrea

I took some time to think about this question for a day so here are my thoughts:

The CIDESCO is a higher level of education but what I would like you to think about for a moment is how often you hear about it.  I mean how often do clients ask if you are? I think if you really investigate that, I hope to shed some light on it here, you will find your answer.

Once you finish school you are basically armed with nothing. Right?  I have educated pre graduates at the 1200th hour and I am amazed at what they do not know.  I mean basic skin stuff; biology 101.

With that said, I have also formulated skin care for plastic surgeons.  Want to know what a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon said to me when I handed him my professional manual? Amazed me...

"I know the skin but when it comes to that much detail, I hand it over to my skin care professional"

Another one said to me, "When it comes to making a decision, I cut the skin and perform a surgery, when it comes to the final decision on a lotion, I ask my skin care professional".

What I would like you to take from this is: your experience with intimate, hands on knowledge of a client's skin and the before and afters, the text messages and the phone calls asking if everything is ok or what should I do next.  That is the CIDESCO. That is what it is all about.

Sure you can go take the CIDESCO and hang it on the wall but in the end your still left with the same: hands on experience.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

Unless your touching and experiencing there is no point.  Take it from me, I drive down to Beverly Hills, sit in a Drs office on Bedford Drive only to hear the words: Just make it for me Marty.  It will be good, right?

Is the CIDESCO going to make you stand taller when you greet your new clients for the first time? Is it going to make you feel more confident reading it on the wall?  Will it make you try the acid peel or the extra depth of penetration? If it will make you FEEL better, more confident, then maybe its a good idea.  But if its only to hang on the wall and increase your menu only a little, then maybe think harder on it.

I have read what they cover and think it is a good education but why not do this instead: Lower your prices and do 2500 hours of services from basic Fluffy facials to hard core glycolic acid (30% - 50% 1.0 pH) or TCA (5% - 10% ) and throw in some hands on training at a local MD office with lasers and you might find that your new confidence has risen out of pure experience, instead of class room talk and some hands on 'classroom' facials.

As I understand it, there is a very serious amount of detail and information but for some reason it looks like it is very EU or outside the US driven. Very good stuff and fantastic to know but in the end does it leave you with the same? - What you can and cannot perform in your state or within insurance guidelines?

I do not think this answer does my feeling justice but I hope it sheds some light on what truly can be accomplished by the little dreamer in beauty school who's only dream was to change the lives of a women's skin one appointment at a time. I just do not think CIDESCO was apart of that dream.

But...What do I know. :)

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

P.S. Look at what Jo Ann said and actually took the time to capitalize it: CONFIDENCE

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service