I'm in school currently and I love skin care, and Im familiar with a lot of the skin care lines.. but I know their are TONS. How did you pick your skin care lines besides what is offered at your salon? Was it just trial and error? 

I know entering a salon you don't have much control over what lines they carry, but Im curious on how you found the lines you like? Im not a fan of BioElements and Image.. I know A LOT of salons carry them, but I want something more aggressive.. 

Views: 7160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Janie

Its hard to answer those questions. But...

Right off the bat, I am sorry but they are invested heavily in packaging and that is a first sign of a proper percentage formula problem.  And the second issue is there pricing is not very high.  Let me explain:

I looked at one product and here is what I see:

Peptide Hydrator

Price $36.50

50mL

Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, Soluble Keratin Peptides, Cyclomethicone, Hypnea musciformis extract, Cetearyl alcohol, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Water, Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate, Peg-100 stearate, Ceteareth 20, Tridecyl stearate, Neopentyl glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, Sargassum filipendula extract, Hyaluronic acid, Glycosaminoglycans, Biosaccharide gum-1, Extracts of: Cucumber, Green tea leaf, Grape seed, Echinacea angustifolia, Comfrey, Chamomile flower, and Gelidiella Acerosa, Tocopheryl acetate, Sodium PCA, Allantoin, Panthenol, Sodium hyaluronate, Polyacrylamide, C 13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Sorbitol, Tridecyl trimellitate, Urea, Trehalose, Polyquaternium-51, Diazolidinyl urea, Iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Blue 1, Yellow 5

See the ingredient list and look from the first one and follow through.  The ingredient deck has been moved around to not show the proper percentages.  I know this because of the second ingredient in the deck and the water placement. Many formulators will do this so others cannot re make it or reverse engineer it. 

Now look at how many ingredients there are.  Why?  They mention that Peptide and Hyal Acid are the actives but look at where they are in the deck.  Again this deck has been changed later by the company in the art department and not by the chemist.

Look at the last few items and you will see COLORING and a host of other ingredients that I cannot figure why they are there in a clinical line.  All clinical lines and their formulators know that what you DO NOT put inside the liquid is as important and or MORE important then what you do.  Wouldn't you agree?

When I see this I can make a very educated guess that this formula is based on one that is not custom and might be an off the shelf base from the lab and THEN this company made what they wanted out of it.  The reason this happens is the formula is very stable and the company cannot handle a long process to wait for stability so they pick a base that is already stable and can be mass produced.

Some other issues:

The packaging is nice but there pricing does not represent it and that tells me all their money is in packaging (marketing) and not in the formula because you cannot have all three:  1. Great Packaging 2. High Percentage of Actives 3. Low Retail Price

Its not possible and numbers never lie.  I cold go on but I think this should give you an idea.  I picked this product because it is a no brain-er and everyone in the industry knows the best peptides to use and most do.  In this case I can assume but I am not 100%.

What I can say is this:

1. Great Marketing

2. Great Website

3. Great Packaging

4. Great use of white and blue for the clinical feel

5. Great price point

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

Janie

Enzymes were created to lesson the learning curve for newbie Esties and lower the risk to the end client. Plus it is another product a skin care line can sell.  New. New. New.  :)) Everybody loves new.

Stick with AHA and BHA and TCA acids.  Jessner too but I tend to stay away from resorcinol.

Enzymes have there place within all tool boxes but for me, not so much.  Fluffy and Results oriented skin care are not the same and should not be used within the same sentence.  Pick one or the other when you need it but do not pick both at the same time and rely on the 80/20.  20% of your aggressive approach to treat the skin will create 80% of your results but the 80% will create the profit to the bottom line.

Does that make sense?

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

So what lines do you suggest? I did work for a plastic surgeon for 2 years but still feel like a new esthetician who has so much to learn....

Tina

I am a mfgr. With that said I own my own line.  The only way I promote it here is the 'line' under my name and by chance I have to mention it. I could promote the heck out of it but I don't think the viewing public here would respect me so I post like the few here on this thread and from there if questions come up about mine then I can answer. 

Other then that I have a pretty strict policy of no self promoting.

With that said, Take the details I give here and ask them of any line and they should leap at the chance to give you the details.  If not move on.

The information I give here is totally behind the scenes and I am sure is shocking at times and probably most of the time unbelievable but for every time I speak to a group of Esties they all pretty much walk away feeling like they just got an education they have never heard before and they do not know what to think. So shocking and unbelievable are the norm for me.

The biggest problem I see is that the most successful lines have the largest marketing presence and the ones who are small or in my case refuse to market like the big names so sales and exposure certainly represent that behavior. That is why you keep coming back to the same skin care lines on sites like this.

Maybe try this:  I'll keep posting and maybe you can open a thread about a condition or ? that you need a little extra insite into and I will do my best to help as well as I am sure the other viewers here on this site.

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

Do you have a website so I can check out you "line"?

Tina

That's a perfect response. So now I know I am not self promoting by using my tag line under my name. :))

I always say its not for everyone (skin care professionals) but its for every client you have.

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

I visited your website and tried to send you an email through your contact link, and although I provided an alternate email address, it kept telling me I needed to add my email address. I requested to add you as my connection through here. I hope you accept. Could you please send me your contact info so that I can ask you some questions?

Thank you

Monica

Monica

martyg@skincarescience.com

Wow, that is not good.  I will send that to IT.  Thank you.

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

Hi Marty,

I went to your website and I checked your products. I would  like more information about the ingredients and wholesale. So I send you all my information (phone #, license #, business address, etc.) threw your website and I have not heard from you. Did you got my information?

Yaneth

Please email it to me.  There is an issue with my www right now with the contact us.  The bad thing is "I" did it. Sorry for that. It will be fixed tomorrow.

Log into the site and you can have full access.  sign up and I will manually approve you.

or

Email me at martyg@skincarescience.com and I can send it to you.

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

Can you explain your acne line to me? I went on your site but waiting confirmation for education. I really enjoy your advice and appreciate you taking the time to help us out!

Tina

Is this directed at me? or ?

Marty Glenn

SkinCareScience.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service