How to pick the best skin care line????? does anyone test professional lines?

I have done lots of research on different companies. the problem is, unless you know ingredients like the back of your hand, its hard to tell.

is their a company that tests and rates professional lines? if not , how do we tell?

Views: 8686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I teach what is written below (this is the short version) and it goes something like this:

I know a product line that has entire kit or line that is based on Vitamin C.  I mean entire line.  How can this be possible?  Is it because they are a mfgr that they get the instant credibility to say that if you do 'X' with this line and in this order you will get 'Y' results?

So what your saying is if I 'Try' and 'Error' then I took what the mfgr had to say as 'TRUTH' and the product just did not work for me. So then I go to another product and yet again believe what the mfgr says and try yet again.  Nope that did not work and so on and so forth.

So lets turn this 'Trail' and 'Error' on its ear for a second...

Think of the application of skin care like this - how you prescribe products:

1. Product to Skin    VS.   2. Skin to Product

I know they look the same but they are VERY different and this is why I am totally confused by 'Trial and Error'.

1. Product to Skin

If I take the manufactures word for it then I am doing product to skin and believing what the mfgr says and what the mfgr says when I see a specific skin condition.  Putting product on the skin, hoping for the best as per what the mfgr 'SAYS' is true.

2. Skin to Product

This is where you examine the skin, asses the problem and then with knowledge of the active ingredient that is PROVEN to treat that skin condition at specific percentages based on proven 'MEDICAL TRIAL' and not from an active ingredient manufacturer. You can find this information within Medical books and peer review medical journals at major universities.

Once you have that information then go find that product line that meets those criteria and then look at the base for what it is, how many ingredients, does it have perfume, does it contain ?.  From there you fine tune your selection and pick your line.

So what you have now is a product line that you can apply to any skin condition within your practice and know that what your giving the client to use is the exact percentage needed to treat that skin condition with the correct ingredient / percentage with the smallest base to delivery that active ingredient.  If there is a reaction or discomfort or anything negative then I am sure you will have a VERY good idea as to what active ingredient and or what base is causing the problem.

So this is how I think and I really apologize but how can 'Trial and Error' be a part of a skin care product line selection?

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

That's great in theory, but honestly, I don't think any one of us has the time to research every line's product ingredients individually, read medical journals, etc.  I'm not being snarky, I'm being realistic.  We go to skin care shows, schedule education and product knowledge classes with different lines we have heard about from other estheticians.  Just like our services, skin lines are also spread by referrals.

Jodi

I totally get what your saying, and be as snarky as you like, :)) but you did not address the main issue. :)

You go to shows and product knowledge, right?  Great, I think those classes can be very informative. But...

How can there be so many different formulas created by all these different lines to treat the same skin conditions that have been around for what 20, 30, 50 years.  The skin or those conditions and what causes them has not changed has it?

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

I truly don't know...and I agree, there are so many lines!  So I guess that's simply how I determine by 'trial and error'.  I have tried Vitamin C serums from 3 different lines, to find which one I like the best. And by like, I mean how it feels, smells, works.  I know what Vitamin C does.  But how else would I determine which one works best?  Same with a Retinol night cream.  I've used various ones, they all feel different, and work different.  So after trying a few, I stick with the one that I feel works best. 

Jodi

ok.  I am clear.  I understand. Finally 'my' head gets it as you see it. :))

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

I truly love Eminence. It is a result oriented line, it is truly organic, hand made!! It is so wonderful!! http://www.eminenceorganics.com/en-US/

Tracy said:

”Could you please give a few examples of what you consider to be "true" professional lines of product? And do 80% of product lines come from these lines? When a product is private labeled is the formulation altered at all or is it the exact same product with a different label on it?”

This is how the skincare market works:

Skin Care Product Line Owner -->  Needs a product -> Goes to Mfgr for product

(Multi – National product lines that have in house mfgring not included)

Choice:

1. Formulate their own from scratch

2. Pick from an already made formula and tweak to their standard

3. Pick the already made product and do not tweak

It’s a simple as that. SO to answer your question let me say this:

In case of number 1 the cost could range anywhere from 50 – 100K depending on what the actives are. Number 2 could cost 10 – 25K and number 3 could cost from 3 – 10k depending on how large the quantity is. So what you have is a lab / product mfgr that can produce any of the three outcomes. With this said, I know that I can even do it for less.

The question now becomes this:

If I have 36 products in my line or that is the number of products I want or maybe even more am I going to spend 50 – 100K or 3 – 10K?  Do the math, it adds up very quick.

Ever been to a skin care convention?  Maybe Las Vegas Show?  Which companies do you think are private label and which ones do you think are choosing number 1???

Does that help? :)

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

Thank you Marty!  I LOVE how you can break it down & go from A to Z, & 1,2,3. Honestly, I have to ponder it all a moment, but I feel like I can get there with that.  I'm imagining walking through a show & determining which is private label & which is not.  I work in a spa that carries Dermalogica (not a fan) & ClarityRx which I believe to be an authentic, professional skincare line.  I'm not quite sure why I added that last line but I guess I'll ponder that also. Thanks again Marty

Tracy

Go to this link

http://www.clarityclinicalskincare.com/private-label.html

See what they are saying?  This is either a manufactures line which is also sold to other people or this skin care company would like to sell you there line and then help everybody else create their own line by also offering private label.

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

Mariah,

I just saw the results from 4 friends with a product from Nerium.  The results that I viewed were from people I knew and I saw substantial difference from the softening of their lines, age spots and the tightening around the jowls as well as the dark circles under the eyes.  This was not photoshop photos, it was real results.  The price point on the product is 80.00...well worth the investment for sure.  After I viewed the results, I purchased the products and I'm testing them on locals here in my area as well.

http://www.nerium.com/default.aspx?ID=dlbrongiel

Donna

Next time you post on this site please DO NOT post a www link that is connect to YOU that relates to MLM.  I would have been ok with it if you would have just posted a link to the main site but I noticed your name at the top right corner which tells me what ever I do on that site is connected to you.

You will never hear me say things like this but this is a one time thing that I cannot help: Nerium is a crap product. You are on a professional site with skin care professionals. There are skin care pros who are not licensed yet and are just reading these forums and your 'Nerium' sets the wrong message and puts them on a path they might think is correct but in fact is totally wrong.

I am not the police of this site but I do have a mouth and sometimes I just don't care and what ever filter I might have, I remove.

If you want me to prove just how bad that product is let me know... or you can spend the next five plus years studying skin care and skin care formulation, write a professional product line manual, professional chemical peels class manual so that you will know what to look for when evaluating a product line.  Not to mention a product line that only has one product for ALL and then on top of it sells by way of MLM.

Marty

SkinCareScience.com

Yes, please send me the data.  Personally, I care about the results of a product.  Please send me what information you have.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service