Hi again everyone.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how most places operate.  After being an employee for 18 months, I am suddenly an IC.  Sort of.   I don't buy or choose products, but need to supply all other implements needed (gloves, esthetic wipes, cotton, etc).  We just now found out we will have a laundry service for sheets only.  Towels, pillowcases, spa wraps, etc are now our responsibility to provide and launder.  Do other places have folks toting laundry back and forth from home?  I dont' have taxes taken out of my pay, and I keep track of anything I buy.  I have a 17% 'backbar' taken off my commission which covers the sheet laundry and paying desk assistants.  I will be provided a 1099 for 2013 taxes.  I just wanted to get everyone's take on this practice.  I truly love the spa where I work, the atmosphere is perfect, my clients love it, and I really want to stay, as we are implement changes that I think will be excellent in the long run.  I'm just not sure about dragging laundry back and forth (I work 3-4 days/week) along with having another full time job outside of the industry.   How would I keep track of the water and detergent used for business purposes from my home bill, as I feel I should be able to deduct that as a business expense.   Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jodi I lease space, but since they changed to coin-op laundry alot of people do take them home or somewhere. Personally, I don't feel I can, (currently live in a duplex shared laundry/cold water)so I pay the two dollars per load. I have in times past had to take them home. To feel comfortable I had to have extras of everything. Home office/business expense allows you to take 10% of household expenses such as water, garbage, heat etc. (I didn't pay extra for water/probably best to check with your accountant though, it's been awhile for me, I take just the square foot of office-18%, I think). I would purchase laundry products (getting a separate receipt or out of your business checking account) just for work if you can or guesstimate for now. It's important to get every little bit your entitled to.

Thank you for the reply.  That's all great advice.  It just seems like alot of extra work, and it's not something I've heard most spas doing.  

About the checking account, since I don't own the business, do I just open a 2nd one in my own name?  I can't attach the business name to it since it's not mine correct?  I thought about doing that, as of now I have a file for all receipts and I have a spreadsheet for all expenses.  I do think it will be easier to also have a separate account and put money aside to replenish.  I just wasn't sure if there is a way to designate that it's a business account. 

It is extra work, no one needs more! It is strange they don't have a laundry area. In, LA I worked in a 3 room place, 2 gyms owned by the hospital and another gym  and had to take it home.

Yes, I have a personal account just separate from my regular account-I refuse to pay the extra cost for a "business" account-my bank lets me identify it as I want. So on my checks, under my name it says Business Account! When my statement comes it has the same as my checks! It's just so much easier to have it all in one place and will make tax time easier. I have it all on Quick Books. When I'm in a hurry and  I use money from my regular account, like at the grocery store for distilled water-I put amount in my business account and make a deposit for same amount -(I just put it on my bankstatement as +/- $---- so it will balance. that + just means when I put it in QB I put "owner capital" deposit, even though it really wasn't really deposited, I did use my regular money. Hope this isn't too long winded or confusing!

They used to have a washer and dryer, but decided to go this way now that we are ICs instead of employees.  It just seems if I'm going to do all this extra work, it would be better to try to find a space and open my own little business.  At least I'd have control over the product line(s) I use.  But we are going more medical and I really want some advanced training, so I'm torn.  And since I have a FT job that pays my bills I'm just more stressed right now! 

It's alot to consider, don't envy you. There are pros and cons either way.

It's a unique IC situation, she wants to hire a 'lead' esthetician who will be in charge of all product ordering, then somehow put us under her, for now, until that happens, the owner is still ordering products, but we supply the rest.  Thanks for advice.  Appreciate you all so much! 

I don't have a laundry facility for my business and lug my stuff back and fourth.  I suggest getting one of those hampers with wheels on it.  if you don't have room in your actual room ask if you can store it elsewhere in the spa.  I also have a smaller one if I just have say one client and don't need to roll the larget one home.  It is kind of a pain in the butt but the LMT that owns where I rent said she would rather be home doing laundry in her underware than sitting at work and doing it.  LOL, thought htat was funny.  I don't always use my business acct for laundry and things like that but we have well water so don't have a water bill.  I do a lot more personal loads over about 2 business loads maybe a week.  I sent my buinsess up as an LLC and I know you don't want to spend the money but it may be worth looking into just setting up at least your name, but if you can just open another acct that works too until you eventually get out on your own.  Keep us posted on how everything goes wit the new changes.  Maybe you willget that lead esthetician job and you can call the shots :)

Thanks!  I didn't 'apply' for the lead job, as it still only pays commission, nothing for the extra time/effort, and I simply can't afford to go full time in a job where there is no base pay to rely on so to speak.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service