Hi everyone!  I wanted to get a general concensus on the protocols surrounding leaving clients alone during parts of a facial treatment.  I have been to 2 places that have put the mask on, covered my eyes and and said, OK, I'll be back in 20 minutes and left the room.  I felt bored and un-cared for as a client.  I personally would never do this. During mask, I perform hand and arm massage, scalp massage, or some type of relaxation treatment.  I just wondered what you all thought of this practice?  As a client, I must say I hated it.  Thanks for the feedback! 

Views: 2435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess each to her own...I was a client many years before I was an esthetician too.  I love the tiime along and I paid good money.  As mentioned in my previous posts I had surveyed my clients and most of them liked a few minutes alone to relax as that is the only time they every had that was just their time.  There are still getting pampered plenty.  I think there is so much exaggeration going on here that if you leave the person along for 10 minutes you have slapped on some products and that is it.  I for one never slap on products.  Every step is slowly and methodically applied...cleansing itself is a massage.  Gently toning, even removing products can be done gently and lovingly.  Arm and hand massaging while they are exfoliating.  And then of course the shoulder, neck and facial massage.  I would hardly call that not being cared for.  Anyway,  I charge plenty and have an 85% retention rate, I make my own products and usually ever client buys and comes back for more inbetween facials so I guess I am doing something right.

Huntsville, AL here...It's all about preference, and the number one thing to remember is as long as you stay within your state guidelines, keep client safety first, and ASK them their preference, all is well.  :)  If my client asks me for a massage during their mask, then sure!   But they are going to pay extra for it.  Just my two cents.  I charge minimum $60 for a mini to $150.00 for microderm/chemical peels.  And I get it.  My clients know I take care of them.  As long as you know that also, that is all that matters :)

I am very new to this field (less than a year and I am in Florida) so I appreciate your expert advice.  I definitely just think it all boils down to a matter of preference for the Esty and the client.  I really enjoy the relaxation part so I include it in most of my treatments.  I am not a a point where I have clients back to back because I am so new...but I also do not plan on ever having back to back either, because I do have my own place and it is just me, I like the client to not feel like they are being rushed out and I can sit and chat a few minutes and still have time to clean and get ready for the next client.  I allow at least 30 min b/t appts and who knows, maybe I will change that eventually, but as of right now I am content with it.  I have shopped around and had a lot of facials and for me, I like receiving more massage and didn't like when they left the room (but it could be too that they never asked if I was comfy or anything like that)...who knows. 

I think as estheticians, we should try to go get regular facials from other spas/salons to see how our services compare. I think too many estheticians go into this field without experiencing many facials from all sources: doctor's offices, spas, salons, cruise ships etc . I know it can be expensive to try these out, but I think it is extremely important to know what makes you feel good. What made one service more pampering than the other? I think when we start to believe that we pamper people enough and don't go the extra mile that we start to lose our effectiveness as estheticians. We are more then a skin care therapist, we help relieve stress and tension to many people who need all the stress reduction possible. I take great pride in making each and every person who walks through my door feel like they are being pampered like the Queen. And I don't mind spending every minute caring for them if that is what they would like, it is their money and time, and they should get what they want whether it be alone time or extra massage!

Grace Riley

Esthetician & Author of Jump Start Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

Grace - what a lovely response!

And even a more "clinical" service (peel, microdermabrasion, etc) can be made special by just a little extra "nice"!

Great topic.  I generally don't leave the room when I'm with a client.  However, I may have to step out and greet a client that arrived early, just to acknowledge them (I'm the only person in my studio).  A good 80% of my clients are sleep during the treatment anyway an never know I'm gone.  However, if I need to step away and I know the client is alert or like to talk during treatment,  I let them know that I'm stepping a way for a moment.

Bad practice!  This time should be spent massaging their hands or feet or a gentle scalp massage OR just staying in the room quietly cleaning/prepping for the next client.

It is rude and lazy in my opinion.

Claire xx

I am amazed at the nasty opinionated young estheticians here...how dare you call anyone you don't know lazy or unprofessional. It is also astonishing to me that so many of you base how wonderful your facials are on the fact that you do not  leave the room for 10 minutes and that you do an arm and hand massage during that time....well what do  you do while they are exfoliating?  That is when I do my arm and  hand massage, if that facial calls for it, so they are still getting as much pampering.  And I do leave the room and I am a hard working very successful esthetician.  After 15 years of working in various spas, 6 years ago I opened my own studio.  I take the time with each and every client giving myself 30 minutes between each so they never feel rushed. If they are a new client I discuss with them their goals before we start.  If they are getting my Premier or Antioxidant Facial they receive an arm and hand massage during exfoliation and a neck, shoulder and facial massage later. If it is one of my  basic deep cleaning facial they receive just the neck, shoulder and facial massage. I sit down with every client after their facial hand them a take home sheet which explains their skin condition and how best to treat it nutritionally, helpful tips and product suggestions.  I answer any questions they might have.  I hand customize each cleanser, toner and moisturizer for them while they wait.  I make all my own organic products during the facial and my retail line.  How many of you non lazy professionals do all this?  I am not usually this argumentative or angry but you have crossed the line and disgust me.

Did you read Jodi's orginal post?   She quoted that on two different occasions she was left alone for 20 minutes where they left the room without an explanation and she felt uncared for.   Our responses are in response to HER post and not on estheticians in general.  After years of being an educator i have come across many that use this time to leave the room for 20 minutes to check facebook. 

If you leave the room like Monica say's offer them a polite explanation. 

If she was left in the room with no explanation then that is unprofessional.  This is not a discussion on who does the best facial, or whom makes the best organic product. 

SHE (Jodi) felt un-cared for.  Her feelings are what we are responding to.

Sorry we disgust you with how we respond to her feelings and it does sound like you have a lovely practice going on in your location and i bet you don't leave them for 20 minutes (more like 5 or 10)  But i will still stand my ground that abandoning a client for "20 mins" is uncalled for.  She could be lying on her own bed at home with a face mask on for 20 minutes...she is paying for the time.  

Claire

Yikes!  Have not nor would I leave a client longer than one minute to either change water or grab a warm towel.  Leaving your client brings up safety concerns as well as the amount of service received.  

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback.  Shelley, I feel you are very condescending to those of us who are 'new' to the field.  That is how your responses are coming across to me.   I am practicing in PA, in a medical spa, and every facial I have had, except the 2 I referenced,  the esthetician never left me for 20 mins if at all.  I feel if you are going to eat your lunch, check messages, greet other clients, then I should not be charged for those 20 minutes.  Just my opinion.  You asked what I do during exfoliation, I do a scalp massage.  I have had people tell me "That was one of the BEST facials I have EVER had."  More than once, so even though I've only been practicing for 2 years, I, too, must be doing something right.  I was taught you stay with your client for the full hour (or however long the treatment is).  I  can see leaving for a few minutes to get fresh water. 

Claire -thank you for bring this back to my original question.  I'm not sure what making one's own products has to do with my question. 

I'm also surprised people charge extra for a hand and arm massage during any part of the facial. I guess for me, since my original experiences with skin care (prior to being in the field) always included this as part of the treatment, then learning in school that this should be included, I would never consider it an add on.  We have other add ons we charge for, such as microcurrent treatment, hand and foot scrubs, reflexology, etc. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service