Hi everyone!  I wanted to get a general concensus on the protocols surrounding leaving clients alone during parts of a facial treatment.  I have been to 2 places that have put the mask on, covered my eyes and and said, OK, I'll be back in 20 minutes and left the room.  I felt bored and un-cared for as a client.  I personally would never do this. During mask, I perform hand and arm massage, scalp massage, or some type of relaxation treatment.  I just wondered what you all thought of this practice?  As a client, I must say I hated it.  Thanks for the feedback! 

Views: 2435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I am receiving a facial I like to be left alone during the mask.  However, as an esthetician, I never leave my clients alone in the room.

Emily, just curious, why do you prefer to be left alone rather than get a hand or scalp massage? 

I like the solitude and feel more relaxed.  I'm probably an anomoly in the skin care world....I find it very difficult to relax and give up control when I'm being touched. 

I actually have quite a few girlfriends that hate massage.  I always ask my clients if they are ok with being massaged.  Although I can't imagine anyone not liking it...and I don't ever leave my clients, but you are definitely not an anomaly :).

I agree with you completely! I never leave my client! As a professional you should be there watching the clients face while giving a relaxing massage. Watching for uncomfortable facial expressions, wiggling nose for itchiness, redness, moving often, maybe head band is too tight.......we could go on and on. The point is: Don't ever become complacent and leave your client! WE ARE IN THE CARING FOR OTHERS BUSINESS! :)

Kari-exactly "We ARE IN THE CARING FOR OTHERS BUSINESS!" Don't be a nurse if you don't like dealing with blood, and don't become an esthetician if you don't like pampering people! And frankly, if I paid $70.00 for a 60 min. facial I would want to have the works!

Grace Riley

Author: Jump Start Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

www.graceriley.skintherapy.net

Grace i tried to click on your link and it did nt work. I woukd really like the info!
Thanks

I was always told never to do this by my instructor.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I have clients who are uncomfortable with me sitting behind them the entire time the mask is on.  I charge $10 extra for hand and arm massage and here's why.  I was taught to never start doing this free or it would be expected and I would be sick to death of doing it for every single client when I can use that mask time to chart, think about product recommendations, etc.  I have alot of Moms who never get a moments peace and they love it.  After doing this 7 years now, I usually ask my client if she would like Mommy time, and I usually get "oh yes, ma'am!",....that is their only time to not hear "Mom, mom, mom..."   I started with my new clients explaining at the beginning of treatment that I usually leave the room for a few minutes while their mask is on to give them time to relax of they are comfortable with it, and depending on what time of mask we are doing. I think if you let them know upfront it is for their benefit, they don't feel as if you are leaving them to do things for yourself.  I always make sure my table is adjusted properly, warm towel under the neck, aromatherapy, etc...ask if they are comfortable, and use 2x2s for eye pads...."tuck' them in, and ask "is everything feeling okay" before leaving the room. I am just open and honest with them, and I will offer to leave the room to give them some time to relax, or stay with them during the treatment.   I don't think you should leave to go eat, smoke (yuk), or do anything for yourself, but it just depends on the comfort of your client and the situation.   I am usually right outside my door within earshot updating charts, etc, and I always felt this was more peaceful for the client rather than listening to me flip paper... but I am an independent contractor, and I can see where in day spas this might not be appropriate.  I am the receptionist and Esthetician since I work for myself, and I feel like if your client is okay with it and you are using that time for them to chart the service and product planning, etc. its fine. 

I agree with you in terms of "asking the client." It gives them the power to choose what is the best option for them. I would be okay with my esthetician (as a client) to product plan, but I would expect that they at least ask me if I would like a massage during that time. I don't like to be left alone for all that time it takes a mask to dry. That is just a personal preferance.

Grace Riley

Author of Jump Start Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

www.graceriley.skincaretherapy.net

I am curious what part of the country most of you are from and how long you have been practicing.  Not meant as a criticism just truly curious.  I have been practicing 21 years in the Baltimore/DC Area.  I have worked in several spas and go to different ones all the time to see what they do.  I have always been left to relax while the mask is on and in every spa I worked in we were instructed to leave the room.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I always inform the client everything I am going to do during their service and tell them I will leave the room for a few minutes while they are masking and never leave until I know they are comfortable.  Like Kimberly, I have my own studio with no receptionist and this is a perfect time to check phone messages, etc.  I also would like to point out that although pampering is important (and I do plenty of massage, depending on which facial they get) we are first and foremost skin care therapist and our number one purpose is to help the client have beautiful healthy skin and teach them how to care for it at home.  Oh and some of my advanced training was by a French woman and also worked with Russians, Swedes, etc and not all of them stay with clients.  In fact the Russian woman thought massage was frivolous.  I don't agree with that but I do think caring for the skin is first and foremost and if they wanted to just be pampered they should get a massage.

Hello,

I've been in the business off and on for the last decade. Lived in mid-atlantic and southeast. Prior to being in the field, I was a long time facial client of various spas and salons. I have to say I always felt short changed when the estheticians left me for more than 5 mins. or so. I didn't mind a mask  lingering on me for a few minutes while the esthetician tended to something else, but when they left me for 7-15 mins. that was getting to be too much. Mind you, some of these facials cost any where from $60.00-$95.00 for an hour service. My post comes more from the customer perspective than esthetician perspective because I was a client long before I went into this field, and I stayed away from spas/salons where I wasn't pampered. I wasn't paying for the esthetician to tend to the office; I paid them to take care of me. As an esthetician now, I try to keep that in mind and rarely leave the client.

I agree you are skin care therapist, but as a former client I can tell you I only went back to places that could be both: skin care educator & pamperer. As much as we want our skin to look beautiful, for most of us, this hour is all we have to shut down the constant chaos of life. I don't want someone to slap on a mask for 7-15mins. and leave me, I would prefer a massage of some sort especially for the money we are talking about. The estheticians that did the scalp massages, foot reflexology, hand massages etc. during that mask time are the ones I returned to.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service