Are there any estheticians who are mobile? What are the pros and cons of doing so? I'm transitioning to cut my overhead expenses.

Views: 1585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand that this site is made for people in the industry to ask ANY and ALL questions. If you are not helpful then you shouldn't comment.

You asked if it is was illegal, and several knowlegable professionals told you it was illegal.

You replied with "prove it". Someone did, and you still don't believe it.

If you are too lazy to look up the regulations in your own state - which I did before even opening my businesses, and Samantha did even though she lives in IDAHO and has no interest in what goes on in FL - maybe you should re-think you level of motivation.

Put in a little effort -- you had to get a license, so you know where to find the state's website regulating your profession.

Asking advice or guidance is one thing. Asking people to do the work for you is lazy.

Pick up, the phone, call the cosmetology board and ask them yourself.  Do I need to look up the number for you?

Point made...

Aundra, I am a little bit interested in knowing about mobile spa as well, and after reading through all of these comments, I must say I agree with you, that this site is for us to ask any questions we want regarding our profession, even if we can look it up ourselves, there's always more to learn, and a little extra insight & assistance from our fellow estheticians can be very helpful at times. On that note, I'm not sure how it is in your state, many states are different, however I can suggest that another alternative is calling or emailing our actual insurance company ASCP, they might be able to assist you with some of your questions regarding topics like this a little bit more directly; I find them very helpful as well.

It's probably just me, but the number of people on this forum who are going mobile or out of their homes concerns me.

Many of them DON'T check into their state's regs - and even when they know it's prohibited they do it anyway. For the people who put real effort into complying, I think that's awesome!

For those of us who have gone to the trouble to obtain an establishment license and conform to the regs, this is a slap in the face.  It can undermine the entire profession (operating a business outside regs and scope of practice). In my state I can do home visits BUT I have to have a real establishment and the home visit must be on my office schedule...this is what the state inspector told me.  I don't do any services out of MY home OR clients home...and no spa parties...but I know people who do.

This practice could lead to more restrictive regs for ALL of us...and that worries me! If you are not operating within your state regs then your insurance will not cover you if something happens. If there is a claim you stand to lose your license, your business, and all your assets.

Just to give you an idea of how bad this situation is, American Spa ran a feature a year or two ago about a spa that did in-room services at the hotel in which they were based as a way of creating capacity when their spa was booked.

Problem was, no one at American Spa bothered to check the regs. Not only are mobile skin care services prohibited in this state, but so are mobile nail care services. AND the hotel in which the spa was based is part of the Marriott family of hotels, and in 2010, Marriott banned in-room massages at all of their properties after the nasty Craigs List Killer at the Boston Hotel (not that this had anything to do with massage, it was prostitution, but try telling a lawyer that)

I'm probably a horrible person but I turn them in when I find them. I don't appreciate being under cut by those who don't have my overhead. I also don't appreciate the negative experiences people have in people's unregulated homes. They then assume that it's a normal operational business and their opinion of the industry is marred until someone corrects it. I'm not a fan.

I am with you.

On the massage-side of the business, many licensing board and certainly AMTA code of ethics, obligates a practitioner to report unlicensed activity.

Aundra

When laws refer to cosmetologists, it's also referring to all professions under cosmetology, even if we're specialized. Estheticians and nail techs have the same rules as cosmetologists unless otherwise specifically stated. Boards require you to be in a licensed facility so that they may inspect you during operating hours to maintain sanitation regulations. If you travel, they can't inspect you. I used to live in Florida and I know that they do not allow you to do this. If you need verification, call the board. They will tell you no. I'm sorry it's not the answer you want but it's the only answer you will get.
Samantha, thanks. I was considering it, but I won't do anything that wil jeopardize my integrity and licensure. I read the regulations, but I was making sure that I didn't miss anything that would put me out of compliance. People are really blowing this out of proportion, so I receive your information with professionalism and kind regard. Enjoy your day. *smile*

In California, I believe it is legal to have a mobile unit, pull up outside someone's house, they can come into your mobile but you can't take anything into they're house. it is for sanitation inspection purposes. the state has to be able to inspect your place of work.

This is only partially true.

You can do in-home services that are "non-invasive" -- no steamer, no manual extractions, no peels.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service