I am feeling so happy that I found all of you and this amazing site.  I am fairly new esthetician and I finding a place that works for me is a slippery slope. I started at a salon that is noisy but I did a lot of spray tans in the summer so that was ok . I have a couple of choices for space and I cant make up my mind.  Options please :)

1.  Salon moved to larger space 6 of the stylists left and are starting their own salon.  Very nice but very small. 1000 sq feet and my room is 10x10 and close to the dryers and stylists.  I like these girls very much. I see lots of buzz and referrals at this new salon

2. Have been talking to a chiropractor who has a wellness facility with a naturopath massage therapist and sports doctor. The space is amazing with recessed lighting, sink with granite and separate room for spray tans. The chiropractor is really a great guy and never thought about esthetics but sees how I could complement their practice. I would be renting space and because I am so new I wonder.

Would you experienced estys recommend the salon or the wellness facility?.........I hate the noise and smells from salon but I love all the interaction.  

Thank you .

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so "over" being in a salon....the noise and the smells are just awful. There is always at least one stylist who yells or clomps around in noisy shoes! :)

However...sometimes salon clients are good prospects for esthetics services.

In the chiropractic/wellness office, depending on the location, you might be happier.

Are they okay with spray tanning? While it's certainly safer than sun or tanning beds, you are setill working with chemicals and the possibility of overspray.

Are you dual licensed for massage? Or will the chiro want you to share a room with a massage therapist? You don't want to get squeezed out if they want to monetize their space better.

I like to feel good about my surroundings...it should look nice, be quiet, be easy to get to, etc

Thank you for your comment.  The space at the Chiropractors office is amazing 2 separate rooms and he would build out as needed. We have not discussed the price but he knows I am starting out and said perhaps a percentage to help me get going.  I tend to feel the quiet would be much better in the long run but have such a small book of business with skin care that I am nervous. I am sure you all have been there. That is another topic :) Thanks again.

While your book is small, I would say stick to the salon where you will for sure get referrals, especially since you love your coworkers.  10x10 is not huge, but it's manageable, especially if you use a lot of wall shelving.  Things like curtains and tapestries can block a lot of noise.  You could even quilt the door using a bolt of fabric and some inexpensive pillows.  Bottom line, you need to be where the clients are, and I would just doubt they are in that mindset when they are visiting the chiro (similar to why nutritionists have had a hard time building at my clinical spa...  although the treatments compliment each other, there is a different mentality in place.

Christine thank you for your reply.  I had a difficult choice but I did decide to go with the salon. The theme is boutique French and the salon has a great feel.  You are a god sent because at the end of the day you validated my decision.  I think I will gear more towards "treatments" that way if there is noise clients will be ready for it.  Thanks for all the great tips about noise reduction tips. I hope to go into the medical field but I can really work on my craft here. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service