How often do you schedule people outside your normal hours?  I get more and more requests for this anymore, and sometimes I feel people are taking advantage of us, as I try to accomodate everyone, and end up either over extending myself, or missing out on personal things I had planned in my off time.  Examples:

1.  I work until 4 on Friday.  I have 2 clients who can only come at 4, so I agreed, once a month to see them.  Both are teenage girls.  Now the moms want me to stay another extra hour to give them a treatment too.

2.  I have a regular who wants Saturday.  I work 1 Saturday and 2 Sundays a month.  She can never do the one Saturday I work, so I end up working 2 or more Saturdays a month, which doesn't work well with my schedule.

3.  I start at 9am, but people call and want to come at 8, and I have done this a few times, now they expect it every appointment. 

4.  I don't work at all on Tues or Thursdays, and I have people who only want those days, and actually threaten to go elsewhere I I don't comply.  Now granted, on this one, we finally hired someone else, so hopefully that will take care of this one.

When do you start to put your foot down that you have a set schedule for a reason, and while exceptions can be made, it shouldn't be done on a regular basis.  I feel I would risk losing clients, but at the same time, I am starting to feel resentful of the 'free' time I am losing as these are biting into my personal schedule.  

Thanks!

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's harder when you don't work certain days to hold to your boundaries.

My office is open Tues-Sat with only a half day on Sat.

Technically I set my hours as 10a-7p but since I like to close early on Fri I block out after 5P.

If someone books the first or the last appt, I block out on the other end ( I don't want to work a 9hr day)

It's easier to keep clients on YOUR schedule when you have on-line booking, since only available appts show up.

people can adapt, no matter what they say.

This is just a learning experience to find ways to say "no".

"I have nothing available on blank day...I can see you at 10a or 3p on Friday, If you NEED to have a Saturday, my first available is blank"

Thanks.  Our spa has set hours and we have online booking.  The issue is, I just work part time there, and when people call and ask for special things, they tell them...Oh let me call Jodi and ask her.  So if they get a call back saying no, the client knows it's me.  These aren't appointments outside the hours the spa is open, just the hours I am available.  I'm hopeful that now that they hired someome else, it will slow somewhat. But  yesterday, one of my regulars wanted to rebook on a Saturday I wasn't available, and she just said, that's OK, I will go to the other therapist.  That kind of irritated me.  Maybe it shouldn't, but she's been my client since before this job, I brought her to this spa.  Am I being too territorial with 'my' clients? 

So the problem is more how the front desk handles this.

When the receptionist tells them that she has to call you and then calls them back that gives the client uncertainty about when you are available.

So - same training for receptionist....

give clear directions on what days and hours you will come in. She can say...

"I'm sorry, but ____ has no openings on that day, I can put you in at ____on Weds, would that work for you?"

Don't do that back and forth thing, it doesn't work to your advantage.

I never worried about clients going to another therapist.  They always come back to me and are usually a little bit more appreciative. 'Course, if you are worried that they will like the other person better, that can give you a lot of anxiety!

Seeing as I am just kinda starting and I need the business, I am willing to work any hours and accommodate clients that need days or hours I am not really open, but that is the beauty of just renting a room and making my own schedule I suppose.  Now if someone wants to come in for a simple brow wax I may not go out of my way to accommodate them but I try to make myself available whenever.  I also live 5 minutes away from my place so that makes it easier.  I am going in tomorrow and don't traditionally work on Monday and I am technically making nothing for the appt because it was a trade for something, but I don't mind. 

I have a full time job that pays my bills, and do this part time, trying to work into being in skin care full time.  It might be easier if it was my only job, but it's not and I don't have alot of down time.  Maybe that's why I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.   Been feeling really discouraged alot lately, waiting for a big transition on my workplace that may just bring hopefully a full time opportunity and more advanced education.  But it's been a year in the making, and sometimes I feel like 'my dream is becoming my nightmare'.  I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and am excited for what this change may finally bring. 

well don't give up and keeep trucking along.  I walked away from a nice paycheck, unfortunately...so the last 2 yers have been rough between school and now working but I understand where you are coming from.  That's why I was saying since I am on my own and close it's easier to get there...and I don't have children but may change my tune if I pick up a part time job. 

Jodi-we never want to miss clients but we need to take care of ourselves first, whether or not we work full time or part time makes no difference. I got to the same point, it just took a few years. Now, I set my hours and rarely work outside of them. It's for my convenience when I do, such as recently offered to help a friend but had a client scheduled so asked if she could come in on the Monday before her appt. You will lose clients no doubt about it, however the good ones will accept your schedule and those are the ones you want. I'm getting calls for off hours and with it being really slow it's hard to turn down but it gets outs of control-and I get resentful. You have to do what works for you.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service