Should an esthetician sell/use Rodan and Fields? Your opinions would be much appreciated!!

As an esthetician I have been approached many times by consultants trying to recruit me to sell Rodan and Fields.  My response to them has always been  "I am an esthetician.  I only use professional products."  I cannot sell products to people if I have not had them under the mag light and analyized their skin.  The consultants are told they are selling professional products.  They do not understand the hard stance I am taking.  I am very polite however i am firm.  To me, it is a matter of integrity.  I don't believe a product line can be sold by people who are not a dermotologist or an esthetician.  I understand the line was created by dermatolgists but these clients are not sitting in their chair getting a dermotogist recommendation.  They are getting a home consultants recommendation based on what the client tells them.  How many times have you have someone tell you what their skin type is only to get them in your chair and find out something totally opposite?  I believe they have the right to sell their multi-level marketing products just like mary kay and avon however mary kay and avon doesn't try to get me to sell their skin care line.  My question to my peers is this.  Am i thinking of this the right way?  I'm come to find out that there are many estheticians who do sell this.  Am I wrong?  They use it in their room and they retail it.  While that may be fine because they are looking at the clients skin, to me it sends a message that if she's using it, it must be good so lets all go buy it and we don't even have to waste our money on an esthetician doing our facial.  Plus, I"m not sure what the commission is but it's probably not 100% markup which is what the retail we sell typically is.  I would just like to hear your thoughts on the issue.  I was approached again last week.  I gave her my speech but told her I would research things and get back to her.  I have been wrong before and I will admit it if I"ve made a mistake about this.  Your opinions, please!!!!

Views: 25804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess in my opinion, I don't know why anyone would settle for OTC products with benign strengths and formulas when as pros we get the really good stuff ! I became trained and licensed to set myself apart from neighborhood consultants and their products, and I would never go back :)

I personally would be concerned it would make me look unprofessional selling items that are on infomercials. I guess it all depends on how you want to finally come across, a sales rep or a licensed professional ? I'm very good at sales, and I looooove my 400% markup on my PL products !

As Nondy said, we all decide how we ultimately set up our business'. Best of success to you !
Nondy, I looked up Face Reality, and they sell it right off their website.  How does this really differ from Proactive or any other line that people can buy without any professional advice?  Granted, my company sells my professional line in the retail area, but we are there to offer advice and give treatments, and the skin care  company doesn't sell the products online to professionals or non-professionals.    I once went to get a facial at a spa and she had Mary Kay products all set up in the retail area.  I really don't know if that is what she used on me to do the facial, but I can't imagine they would have professional strength products available.  I've used 2 different professional lines that have retail products, and professional only products to produce results in the treatment room, and would never use anything different.  Does Face Reality have professional only products for use in treatments? 

I believe Laura has it set up where you buy her line after long-distance consultation with one of her estheticians.  I am sure she will be able to answer that for you. 

Her products are designed to be able to adapt to the skin's natural buffering ability.  Not just anyone can go on her site and just order willy-nilly.  Yes she has acne peels available for those who have gone through her DVD training, and have passed the certification test.

hth,

--N--

Thanks for the information!  I haven't heard of this product before.  Appreciate it. 

Those who have gone through her certification training, and are implementing the acne clinic approach, are doing quite well with it.  It is a very comprehensive approach to treating acne.  The products are used in a very specific way, and not only are FR clients getting clear...THEY ARE STAYING CLEAR!  And that is the difference between the one-size-fits-all approach and a truly professional treatment strategy implemented by a professionally trained esthetician.  The difference is profound and actually poignant.

Take care,

Nondy

@Jodi - I am the owner of Face Reality and I just wanted to clarify something for you.  No, we do not sell our active acne products on the internet.  The only products we sell are just basic cleansing regimens that won't clog the pores.  We believe in a managed approach to acne; and that's where we get the phenonemal results that we get.   If you read the very first paragraph of the products page this is what you see:

"The products that you have purchased are specifically formulated for acneic skin and are guaranteed to not clog your pores. However, they will not get your skin clear. If you would like us to help you with your acne condition, we have a long distance program for people who do not live close to our clinic."

As Nondy stated, it's a comprehensive approach - It takes much more than buying products off of a website to get acne under control and keep it under control - it takes managing your client's homecare protocol as the skin adapts to the products.   It's truly about using the right products in the right way. 

We have professional treatment peels as well.  For more information, go here:

Face Reality Acne Professionals
Thanks for the information Laura.  I don't have any control over the products I use  today, my employer decides that, but if/when someday I open my own spa, I will definitely look into this. 
@Jodi - the very reason I could never work for someone else....

I agree with you and your opinion.

Rodan and Fields reps drive me crazy.. They are all about the money and getting someelse to sell under them.

They really do not care what they are selling.. Keep our industry professional...

Why are so many TV shows and magazines endorsing this stuff?  The Today Show, Allure, not sure about others, but who is testing this, for how long, and what are the ingredients?  I tried to find it and can't seem to get it nailed down.  Anyone know?  Like I said, I don't have much faith in this, since ProActiv doesn't work, but wonder why they keep getting awards....
I agree, any manufacturer that does not support my professional treatments and philosphy or respect the industry I love will not get my $. You are a true professional esthetician!

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service