Whether you are new esthetician or have been in business for a while, everyone needs some support. If you had a wish for help with your profession what would it be?

Tags: education, help, support

Views: 803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been out of school for a while and still getting things together to offer facials at my facility but my biggest hang up is products - which one to use?

There are so many out there that range in price. I've looked at past forums to get an idea of others on here are using but I often feel as though I weed through a lot of discussions and never seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I want to offer the treatments with the ability for my clients to purchase the products but the retail pricing needs to be affordable as I live in an ecomnomically low-income area.

Anyhow, any pointing in the right direction would be wonderful.

check out skin scripts...no affiliation but use backbar and some retail...I think they are a great company to start with, check out their group on here. 

I would say that I need more connection/recognition to the surrounding business community.  I need greater access to information about business practices in more established businesses.  I feel that as small businesses, so often we are winging it, and I sometimes get frustrated when I know I am spending time reinventing the wheel, but don't know another way to get something done.  An MBA is outside of my range right now, but I wish there were some sort of other business certification that could be done flexibly to help small business owners.  Come to think of it, I probably just need to connect with the SBA and Chamber of Commerce....  but for that, I would need more TIME.  Maybe I should modify my wish to be more hours in the day....

Apparently where I went to school is crap.  I feel so ill prepared for the industry. I wish I had more knowledge in general.  More knowledge about how the skin works, better training in acneic skin, great training on the galvanic, high frequency, and NOT having these newbies treat me like I'm an idiot too. That would help.

Amy, I too see that my school didn't prepare me for the real world of skin care. It would have helped me to understand that my certificate meant that I had entry level qualifications only...I'm just speaking for myself here. There was plenty of training in giving product specific facials...customized....however, not enough training on any of the machines.
I have gone back to my textbook to review the information there and am looking for good DVDs. I'll let you know what I find ;)

Thanks Denise! I too am struggling with machines and when I reviewed my book it gave me very little. I can barely read the directions on the machines I use because it's in some form of English/Korean and doesn't use the right wordage. I was  furious with school because my teacher said to me once "Amy, this is like kindergarten. You'll learn more when you get out."  I didn't pay $10,000 for kindergarten! Ugh. I'm thinking about starting my own school where we offer refresher courses for licensed estys. So w  can all get on the same page.

Amy, it is true that school is very basic and that you learn a lot once you're licensed and practicing. I'm just now starting to not feel like a brand new esty's at five years practicing. When people asked me how long I've been at It and I tell them...I started to get "oh! Quite a while then" responses. It may feel slow, but you must learn to walk before you run.

Here's what I did...
1. Take some local product seminars (peels or a line).
2. Go to a convention and take some courses on stuff you're interested in.
3. Read read and when you're tired of it, read some more. (www.skininc.com) is a good place to start.
4. Get a position at a commission based spa...keep riding it till you get one. Be persistent!
5. Get training through your spa and collect every piece of information you can.

I'm a total product/skincare knowledge junkie. I'm OCD around the house/at a work but I can be classified as a hoarder when it comes to educational materials. Buy Miladys Esthetician Advanced Series books, read skin inc, read this board and absorp as much as you can.

This business is not easy and requires massive amounts of drive and passion. Very few make it. Very few stick with it. It's because it requires a lot of initial investment, waiting around for no-shows, talking yourself up, and it still takes five years to get into an income that will support you. (I make about 33,000 per year)

Samantha, thanks for your encouragement! I have been in the biz for 7 years and am old hat. However, when I am training instructors on ingredients and they skip an entire chapter on electricity, it's not really education. Certainly didn't get any skills on the galvanic or high frequency. And makeup training was "here's your kit". Certainly not 10,000$ worth of training eh? 

Also I have spent thousands on training, classes and seminars. I worked at a commission spa for years. While on maternity leave, I read five textbooks and subscribed to numerous magazines in both dermatology and esthetics. I'm a hoarder too!!! I never throw any away!!!  A refresher class that could remind me of what I have forgotten would be terrific!

Wow Amy...you have done an incredible amount of continuing education!

That's a great idea Amy...refresher classes that are reasonably priced!

As a massage therapist...my CEUs can be over $500 for a weekend seminar...$100-$200 for a 1 day seminar. My LMT renewal fee is more than my LPN and Esty put together. There is an entire business of providing CEUs to massage therapists.

My machine didn't have instructions either :(  not in english or any other language.

I have no idea how to put on the rubble  seal of steamer. Not a clue.

Mine doesn't have a rubber seal...I don't think :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service