Should an esthetician sell/use Rodan and Fields? Your opinions would be much appreciated!!

As an esthetician I have been approached many times by consultants trying to recruit me to sell Rodan and Fields.  My response to them has always been  "I am an esthetician.  I only use professional products."  I cannot sell products to people if I have not had them under the mag light and analyized their skin.  The consultants are told they are selling professional products.  They do not understand the hard stance I am taking.  I am very polite however i am firm.  To me, it is a matter of integrity.  I don't believe a product line can be sold by people who are not a dermotologist or an esthetician.  I understand the line was created by dermatolgists but these clients are not sitting in their chair getting a dermotogist recommendation.  They are getting a home consultants recommendation based on what the client tells them.  How many times have you have someone tell you what their skin type is only to get them in your chair and find out something totally opposite?  I believe they have the right to sell their multi-level marketing products just like mary kay and avon however mary kay and avon doesn't try to get me to sell their skin care line.  My question to my peers is this.  Am i thinking of this the right way?  I'm come to find out that there are many estheticians who do sell this.  Am I wrong?  They use it in their room and they retail it.  While that may be fine because they are looking at the clients skin, to me it sends a message that if she's using it, it must be good so lets all go buy it and we don't even have to waste our money on an esthetician doing our facial.  Plus, I"m not sure what the commission is but it's probably not 100% markup which is what the retail we sell typically is.  I would just like to hear your thoughts on the issue.  I was approached again last week.  I gave her my speech but told her I would research things and get back to her.  I have been wrong before and I will admit it if I"ve made a mistake about this.  Your opinions, please!!!!

Views: 25804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a friend who work for a very large skin Care and hair care company and she told me

these awards are paid advertising..... I hate to think its true but I wouldn't be surprised....

That's interesting Mary, and probably true.  Thanks!  It stinks though that people who truly don't know skin care buy this kind of stuff just because they see it all over TV. 

One sentence : My licence means something to me, therefore I will not sell "door-to-door" cosmetics.

best,

EXACTLY !! Why sell something that unlicensed, non-professionals sell ? Ding-Dong ! Rodan and Fields calling ! (oh, sorry ! I meant Avon...;)

Seriously....why cheapen our profession ?

Wendy,

I am curious as to how $28 for ONE OUNCE of a zinc/titanium sunscreen could possibly be considered "affordable"?  And how $41 for 4.2 OUNCES of Face cleanser or Toner could possibly be considered "affordable"?!

The Image sunscreen moisturizers are of elegant quality, pleasant to use are FAR and away more "affordable" than that godawful price!  As are their cleansers and toner.  So THAT arguement is as leaky as the Titanic post iceberg.

Sorry, but it makes me kind of impatient when such statements are made.

--n--

I would really love to let this just go by the wayside, but you are one of (I think) two gals who have made the "more affordable" argument which is completely false when referencing R&F.  Their products are fine I'm sure, but surely you get the point that there are MUCH better products at much, MUCH better prices for your clients to use for home care.  In other words, I feel (personally) that your clients are being under served if you are selling them R&F at these horrible prices.

However, as I've said before, if that's what you wish to do with your business, more power to you. 

My best,

--N--

I see nothing "amazing" in any of the ingredient decks I've seen.   Especially compared to what we have available in our professional lines.  Better products at MUCH, MUCH better prices (as I have demonstrated).  I mean seriously?  $41 for 4.2 OUNCES of a  cleanser?!   $28 for ONE OUNCE of sunscreen?! 

The term "amazing" is in direct proportion, I would be fairly certain, to one's ability to sign up others in this mlm and make money off their sales.

If anyone is interested in an amazing line of products at a FRACTION of the R&F costs, I would be glad to direct you..  Mind you, I make NO money off you, am NOT a rep for any of these companies. 

--N--

I've removed Wendy's post based on the guidelines located at http://www.skincareprofessionals.com/page/community-guidelines.  We run these forums as a place for professionals to network and discuss with their colleagues and, as per guideline #3, advertising is not permitted.  Thank you for your understanding - our aim is to prevent this site from turning into an ad space, and keep it truly useful for professional conversations.

Regards,

Abram Herman

Site Moderator at SkinCareProfessionals.com

Social Media Coordinator at ASCP

abram@ascpskincare.com

Please tell me what part of the ingredient deck (and I've read them all) did I miss?  I HAVE educated myself on the products.  They're okay, but nothing special compared to what we already have access to.  I never make statements based on assumption. 

So then what exactly justifies the $28 price tag on that sunscreen?

I do get impatient when people inflate the effectiveness of a product/line and over-inflate the prices of those products to pay the multi-levels of reps up the line.  I held way back on the sarcasm, and I made no condescending remarks that I can see.  I told the truth as I see it.

Can you imagine what a free for all there would be getting several reps from Avon, Mary Kay and R&F all vying for prospects here?

Yeah.  Like I am going to take professional lessons from a mlm rep who either didn't read or ignored the rules of posting here.  (Now THAT was sarcasm).

--N--

Thank you Abram!
Love you!!! What a dynamite way of expressing yourself:) You are very educated and impressive young lady! Keep up the good work!!

I just joined this group..  But wanted to chime in on this topic..

The reason I became an Esthetician is because of my affiliation with a MLM (Not the one listed above).  I LOVE the products and the opportunity.

I do use these products in my practice and have seen amazing results.  The most important thing to me is that my clients are happy with the way their skin feels, looks and that their skin is healthy.  The response I get from my clients when they get up from my chair is amazing.  It always makes me smile.  A 1st time client I had last week, suffered from acne as a teenager.  Growing up she went to dermatologists, worked with estheticians all the way up to being put on Accutane.  When she got up from my chair she continually mentioned how great her face felt.  That to me is what this business is about.

Now, as far as, me building a team.  I do.  I do it outside of my practice, unless asked about it.  I don't push building a team to my Esthetics clients.  I retail products to them as I would any other line.  We offer a preferred client membership (similar to a Sam's Club membership), I mention this to them if they are ordering X amount of product.  

I've had other Estheticians look at me crazy when I tell them what product line I use.. LOL!!  My first question is have you tried the products?  They always so no..  So I understand their skepticism.

The amazing thing about our profession is we all have choices.  I encourage, support and love all my Esthetican sisters!  

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service