If you were mentoring a skin care student, what's the one best piece of advice you would share with them?

Views: 3182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's terrible. My massage therapist have a good clientele building with the advertising I do. I hope it gets better for you. Come to Florida and work with us :)

What kind of advertising do you do?

Oh Amy, yes spa owners seem to be very misleading telling you all kinds of things. I have found this out over and over..... I hope you have better luck in the future with your job.

I think it is important for you to market yourself... to the owner. i.e. I am efficient at xyz, how are you going to help me/market me? 

How long have you been working there? Booth rental is an excellent option, and a business loan is not as scary as it seems. I set up an entire room for 18K... I have competitive prices and have about 2 clients a week (this is my third week) I am confident about what I do, and buy dvds and take classes to get better and more importantly more excited. It is great marketing, because when you learn something new you want to tell people about it. Feel free to look at my website and ask questions if you would like...  yaminadayspa.com

Amy Wood said:

This is interesting and informative.  I have been out of school almost a year now.  I am working at a tanning salon/spa (I know it is odd for an aesthetician).  My best piece of advice is to ask about how the salon will market you.  I feel that I was mislead about this and the amount of customers interested in the services.  I have to buy all my own product I have spent nearly $1000 on this, and am bringing home less than $50 a week.  Perhaps someone has some extra advice for me.
After you take your boards, start thinking outside the box.  Our industry changes constantly.  There is so much information available through shows, product reps, and U tube.  Remember that the human body is an amazing living organism and what works for one person does not work for everyone.  A consultation is the most important tool you have in assessing the treatment approach.  Ask specific lifestyle and life habit questions.  It would be great if everyone would be truthful with these questions.  Often you may hear responses that clients think we want to hear.  When in doubt, go with sensitve/balancing treatments.  I was very fortunate that when I graduated I had a "lifer" take me under her wing.  I learned 10 times from her what I learned in school.  Do not be afraid to ask questions.  How else can you learn and grow?  I wish you the best of luck!!
I have been there since October.  I live in Nashville, TN but the spa is located in a smaller area outside the city.  I do not pay booth rental, but am required to buy my own products.  The room is however has equipment.  My commission is 50/50.  I am getting frustrated quickly and of course cannot live on $50 or less a week.  Thanks for your help.  I am going to check out your site now.

Celina Porter said:

I think it is important for you to market yourself... to the owner. i.e. I am efficient at xyz, how are you going to help me/market me? 

How long have you been working there? Booth rental is an excellent option, and a business loan is not as scary as it seems. I set up an entire room for 18K... I have competitive prices and have about 2 clients a week (this is my third week) I am confident about what I do, and buy dvds and take classes to get better and more importantly more excited. It is great marketing, because when you learn something new you want to tell people about it. Feel free to look at my website and ask questions if you would like...  yaminadayspa.com

Amy Wood said:

This is interesting and informative.  I have been out of school almost a year now.  I am working at a tanning salon/spa (I know it is odd for an aesthetician).  My best piece of advice is to ask about how the salon will market you.  I feel that I was mislead about this and the amount of customers interested in the services.  I have to buy all my own product I have spent nearly $1000 on this, and am bringing home less than $50 a week.  Perhaps someone has some extra advice for me.

There is a busiess model that will predict/provide suggestions for being quickly successful in a booth or studio, but one of the criteria is having experience and a clientele. And with the economy as it is now it is difficult to get either. One thing I would suggest for any new grad is find a friendly experienced esthetician mentor; shadow her and do clients (family, etc) in front of her. That is great 'experience.' (You may have to go out of your competition area - 7 mile radius - to find her, though - which is logical, frankly.)

Another thing - which will make you all groan - is a second license, something else you can do for your client and to bring in clientele. I am a great believer in dual licensing - wrote an article for Skin Deep on it. For example, manicuring/pedicuring is busy the times of year facials are not and can also be performed tandem. (There are techniques for performing both manicures and pedicures with a facial. And great waterless techniques for performing while the client relaxes in the chair.) Massage is a great tandem also, we all know that! Both allow you to sell packages. ........ just something to think about. If you are rental or are planning to do so later, it is something to seriously consider...  

Celina Porter said:

Amy Wood said:

I have started with no clientele, & just graduated. Mentors? Yes! I have some at the school I went to and with the product lines I carry. I find that people in this industry are more than willing to help. I wanted to start with another person in town, but I would have had to sign a 3 year non compete clause, So I decided to just jump in. Dual License is something I have thought a lot about. Not sure what direction I am going to go yet... 

Janet McCormick said:

There is a busiess model that will predict/provide suggestions for being quickly successful in a booth or studio, but one of the criteria is having experience and a clientele. And with the economy as it is now it is difficult to get either. One thing I would suggest for any new grad is find a friendly experienced esthetician mentor; shadow her and do clients (family, etc) in front of her. That is great 'experience.' (You may have to go out of your competition area - 7 mile radius - to find her, though - which is logical, frankly.)

Another thing - which will make you all groan - is a second license, something else you can do for your client and to bring in clientele. I am a great believer in dual licensing - wrote an article for Skin Deep on it. For example, manicuring/pedicuring is busy the times of year facials are not and can also be performed tandem. (There are techniques for performing both manicures and pedicures with a facial. And great waterless techniques for performing while the client relaxes in the chair.) Massage is a great tandem also, we all know that! Both allow you to sell packages. ........ just something to think about. If you are rental or are planning to do so later, it is something to seriously consider...  

Celina Porter said:

Amy Wood said:

I know 3 years sounds like forever but it goes past quickly. Really quickly, when you are learning and busy. Does she mean three years after you quit her (that would NEVER hold up in court, has been proven unreasonable), or to work for her for 3 years? Is there a distance after you quit? That has also been proven unreasonable.

I learned the HARD WAY about opening right out of school-was mislead, of course, by the school. It was very painful, with long sleepless nights. I truly believe that if I had gone to work for someone else I would have 1) earned money instead of going into debt, 2) learned what I needed to know, 3) been more successful, faster. When I am asked what the time for that is, I usually say 2-3 years. And the questioners always groan, shake their heads and walk away. What do the rest of you think?

Celina Porter said:

I have started with no clientele, & just graduated. Mentors? Yes! I have some at the school I went to and with the product lines I carry. I find that people in this industry are more than willing to help. I wanted to start with another person in town, but I would have had to sign a 3 year non compete clause, So I decided to just jump in. Dual License is something I have thought a lot about. Not sure what direction I am going to go yet... 

Janet McCormick said:

Celina Porter said:

Amy Wood said:

I'm an Esthetics Instructor at an Aveda Institute in Chapel Hill, NC.

I'm interested in what advice all of you would give to students, both when they're just starting an Esthi program and when they're closer to graduation. We have several professional development classes incorporated in our curriculum, but I'm always looking for new things to share with my students.

Any advice, etc would be greatly appreciated! And if any of you are around the Chapel Hill / Durham / Raleigh area and would be interested in guest speaking, etc, please feel free to contact me!

Thanks so much!

Erica McCarthy, Esthetics Instructor

emccarthy@avedachapelhill.com

The advice I give to my students in the first few weeks of beginning class is to think like an entrepreneur. The esthetics is only a part of the big picture.

When you are in school take advange of the education.  This might be the only time that you get to concentrate on learning so, really learn.  Develop clients while you are in school you might have them for years to come.  Listen and learn from everyone around you from the ASCP to the director of your campus.  This industry is a never ending learning process.  You have started in an exciting career that can take you anywhere in the world that you would like to go.  Enjoy the ride.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service